Graduate Student Researcher
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering
University of California, Irvine In progress
Emphasis on Imaging and Laser Diagnostics
Dissertation: “3D Digital Holographic Imaging through highly scattering medium using ultrafast Kerr gate”
M.S., Mechanical Engineering
University of California, Irvine June 2013
Emphasis on Fluid Dynamics and Digital Holography
B.S., Mechanical Engineering
Tehran Polytechnic July 2011
Research and Work:
Graduate Student Researcher Jan 2012 - Present
Lasers, Flames, and Aerosols research group, UC Irvine
· Design, setup, execution, data acquisition and analysis, and computer simulation of laser diagnostic imaging experiments using ultrashort pulsed lasers.
· Integrated the Digital Holography technique with picosecond Time-gated ballistic imaging technique and developed an imaging technology capable of 3D imaging through highly scattering turbid media such as biological tissues and dense sprays.
· Numerical simulation of non-linear optical behavior of Kerr effect shutters, and numerical image reconstruction of digital holograms, based on self-developed Matlab codes.
Teaching Assistant Sep 2012 - May 2014
University of California, Irvine
· Led groups of undergraduate students for their Mechanical Engineering Design course project, winter 2014.
· Instructed Discussion Classes of Fluid Mechanics Course, fall 2012.
· Led groups of high school seniors in California State Summer School for Mathematics and Science (COSMOS) summer 2012.
R&D Intern Jun 2013 - Sep 2013
Alcon Research and Development facility, Lake Forest CA
Computer simulation of the hydraulic system of Phacoemulsification (Cataract Surgery) console using Matlab.
Customized Simulink blocks for the specific problem and performance test of the hydraulic system.
Developed a computer model of the hydraulic system to control the intraocular pressure while Phacoemulsification being operated and validated the model with in situ statistically analyzed test results.
Published and Presented Work:
· Ziaee A., Lemine A., Garman J., and Dunn-Rankin D., Picosecond Digital Holography for Multi-Phase Flows, presented in Western States Section of the Combustion Institute, fall 2013 meeting, hosted by the Colorado State University - Fort Collins, October 7-8, 2013.
· Ziaee A., and Dunn-Rankin D., Time-Gated Digital Holography for Dense Sprays using Hydrosols, presented in ILASS Americas 26th annual conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Portland, OR, May 2014.